Public Safety Driving City Council Agenda
February 4, 2011 3 Comments
This past Monday, the Sunnyside City Council held a special meeting to discuss public safety. A large crowd turned out, prompting the council to break with its usual rules of not allowing public comment outside of regular meetings.
Public safety will again be on the agenda when the Council meets for a workshop this coming Monday, February 7 at 6:30 PM. This time the city has posted the agenda for the council meeting online. Despite the failure to do this for this past Monday’s meeting, a large crowd still showed up to hear the discussion. Most of the seats were full, as evidenced by these photos submitted to this blog by a member of the audience.
The Council was briefed on recommendations from the Subcommittee on Pubic Safety, which recommends the following actions items:
- Hire a Crime Analyst
- Fill the city’s vacant IT Position so law enforcement will have support for its information systems and technology
- Create a Gang Task Force within the Sunnyside Police Department
- Annexation of Problem Properties (some gang activity is just outside the city limits, and beyond the reach of our code enforcement officer)
- Purchase Additional Automatic License Plate Readers
- Dedicate City Attorney time to assisting law enforcement on gang related issues
- Review space needs at Law and Justice Center to ensure adequate office space for new personnel
The gang suppression strategy devised by the Council’s Subcommittee on Public Safety will require an investment of significant resources in order to be effective. Escalating violence, which increasingly includes guns, must be met with a strong law enforcement response. The proposed strategy of the public safety committee needs to be approved in full, or it may be unworkable. It is important for the City Council to followup these discussions and workshops with some action.
- How Yakima County Deputies Can Give Sunnyside Police A Powerup (blogsunnyside.com)