February 10, 2011 2 Comments
The first nominee for the “Soft On Crime Hall Of Shame” was first announced on the Friends of Sunnyside website, and is now being listed here:
HALL OF SHAME
Politicians Soft on Crime
Senator Margarita Prentice of Seattle killed an anti-gang bill that was overwhelmingly passed in the State House and endorsed by every police chief in Washington. She is our first nominee for the “Soft on Crime Hall of Shame.”
DAY OF DECISION IN SUNNYSIDE
February 14, 2011
- City Council debates adding two police officers to form an anti-gang unit.
- A “YES” vote is bad news for the bad guys.
- Former police officer and Councilman Don Vlieger says there is no greater priority and he can demonstrate the money is available. ”We can afford it,” says Vlieger, “what we can’t afford is to let the gangs take over Sunnyside.“
- The top Sunnyside Police commanders have long been in favor of a dedicated gang unit.
- Mayor Jim Restucci has told people he has always wanted an Anti-Gang Squad.
- Councilman Mike Farmer says “It is time to stop studying the problem, and time to start solving the problem.“
- Packed public meetings have enthusiastically supported hiring more officers.